I think it's pretty strange how we sleep for 8 hours out of every 24 hours. This means that 1/3 of our life is spent sleeping!
If the average human life expectancy is 75 years, then that means we sleep on average for 25 years. So much life is lost due to the fact that we have to sleep. Imagine how many more things we'd get done if we were awake all day.
I've always wondered why we need to sleep. I read about a study done to people that were kept awake for a few days. After a couple of days, they began to lose their sanity. They could no longer think properly. However, once they went to sleep, they returned to their normal selfs as if nothing happened.
As for me, I had trouble sleeping last night and so I've been struggling to stay awake all day. Despite my tiredness, I still had to finish the academic article assignment. Due to the lack of sleep, it was unusually difficult to do the most simple of tasks, such as finding and article and figuring out what to do next.
Just as I'm typing this, I can barely think because I am so tired. I'm wondering if what I'm saying right now is even going to make sense if I were to read it over more in a more rested state.
The very fact that I cannot think of what to write about and resorted to talking about sleep is a testament to what sleep deprivation does to you.
Hi Nathanael. I knew if we sleep 8 hours it means 1/3 of a day. However, I've never thought that way, we sleep over 20 years of our whole life. It is a amazing fact.
ReplyDelete